Monday, November 24, 2008

Pictorialism

Mark Tansey, Innocent Eye Test,** 1981. Oil on canvas, 6' 6" x 10'. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
A postmodern approach which sets aside Modernist formalism, Expressionism, and Realism in favor of picture-making, where idea and subject matter determine what the picture will look like. As in Conceptual Art, the artist begins with an idea and the picture follows. (Gardner)
**The Innocent Eye Test refers to a term primarily used by John Ruskin a famous, British art critic of the 19th century. He referred to it as the ideal condition for viewing art, much as a child who might see art without preconception for what it actually is; or a blind man, who sees the world for the first time. For a truly 'innocent eye' to be tested we might resort to a non-human subject - in this case, a cow. (Gardner)

3 comments:

Paula Villanova said...

The MFA in Boston had a Mark Tansey show I guess about 10 years ago or so...I bought the accompanying note cards because his images were (and are) fascinating to me. I may be wrong, but I think one of his parents wrote one of the art history texts I used in college. Thanks for reminding me about his work.

Jedi Master Daryl said...

That. Is. Pretty. Stinkin'. Cool!

artslice said...

His content is very cool.... thanks for your comments, Paula and Daryl!