Friday, March 7, 2008

Engobe

Bird Brain, by Jan Edwards. Terra cotta clay, relief drawing and painted with engobe 6 1/2 x 4 in.

"A slip of finely sifted clay that originally is of the same color as the clay of the pot." (Gardner)
Engobe is like a 'clay paint' , you can make the slip any color by mixing in pigments slip and using a paintbrush to apply it to a bisque fired ceramic surface. This 'clay painting' made by Portland ,Oregon artist Jan Edwards has 1/2 inch sides and can be hung on the wall. When I lived in Portland, I was lucky enough to go to her studio sales about twice a year, she has a beautiful space in Multnomah Village, where we used to live. My husband gave this piece to me for our anniversary. If only I could go get more of her work... I love them so much! She also makes functional pottery, gorgeous bowls - platters etc.

No comments: