Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Frieze

Athena batteling Alkyoneos, detail of Altar of Zeus frieze, Pergamon. Marble, 7' 6 high. Staatliche Museen, Berlin. (Hellenistic Period)
Procession of elders and maidens, detail of east frieze of the Parthenon, c 447-438 B.C. Marble, 3' 6" high. Louvre, Paris.

Seated gods and goddesses, detail of the east frieze of the Parthenon, c 447-438 B.C. Marble, 3' 6" high. Acropolis Museum, Athens, Greece.
(This photo is a bit fuzzy, I know, but the frieze is notated on the upper left side in the inner, top bracket.)
The part of the entablature between the architrave and the cornice; also, any sculptured or ornamented band in a building, on furniture, etc. (Gardner)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour,

I'm David, a painter from Lyon, France..

Take a look at my blog and share your views on my work!

http://davidthevenetloug.blogspot.com

A bientôt!

David

artslice said...

Salut David,

I will get over there and have a look, merci!

Cheers,
Brenda