Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Musicians, 1953 Nicolas de Stael oil on canvas



An Abstract Expressionist painter and influenced by Cubism, de Stael was French and Russian (1914-1955). He lived in Paris in the 1930's and has often been compared to Matisse. "de Stael's Musicians focuses attention instead on the precess of painting, and the viewer is most aware of the way that light, color, and space fill the canvas in a serenely orchestrated manner." (Gardner)

de Stael worked on huge canvases, this one measures 5 feet 6 7/8 inches x 3 feet 9 inches. While visiting Antibes in the South of France, I saw my first de Stael at the Musee de Grimaldi, perched on a cliff above the sea. It was a grand piano and most of the painting was red - it was huge and the size alone made a great impression on me. I wish I had bought a post card of it so I could share it with you! (sorry this photograph is a bit blurry)

No comments: