Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Flock Prints

A rare type of 15th century woodcut in which the block is 'inked' with glue and then printed. While the glue is still wet on the paper the surface is dusted with 'flock' (fluff of minced wool) which adheres to the printed design. The technique was later adapted in the 19th century for the manufacture of 'flocked' wallpapers, notable for their rich, heavy patterning. (Michael Clarke)
Note: Unfortunately, I don't have any flocked examples to show you so I posted an actual woodblock - by me of the 21th century. It has been printed before - hence the black ink stains. Now, just imagine it covered in glue.... about to be printed onto paper. I may have to try this myself!

No comments: